National Day of Remembrance for Murder Victims
For this year’s 2017 National Day of Remembrance for Murder Victims, Unit 1012 will remember more than 1500 murdered victims + victims of war crimes from the United States and around the world. Let us remember how they lived on this earth and treasure their memories.
"So long as we live, they too shall live and love for they are a part of us as we remember them."- Gates of Prayer
For this observance, we will present murdered victims from 1995 to 2000:
981. Thien Minh Ly, a Vietnamese American who was murdered by Gunner Lindberg due to a hate crime on January 28, 1996.
982. Stacey Lee Stites (January 19, 1977 to April 23, 1996)
983. Michael Lyons (September 28, 1987 to May 17, 1996)
984. JonBenét Patricia Ramsey (August 6, 1990 – December 25, 1996) was an American child beauty pageant queen who was murdered in her home in Boulder, Colorado, in 1996. The six-year-old's body was found in the basement of the family home about eight hours after she was reported missing during a police search of her home. She had been struck on the head and strangled. The case remains unsolved, even after several grand jury hearings, and continues to generate public and media interest.
986. Laura Kate Smither (April 23, 1984 - April 3, 1997)
987. Jennifer Neal, a victim of heroin overdose who died in 1997
988. Frank Meziere (July 31, 1974 to March 26, 1988)
|James Byrd, Jr.|
989. James Byrd, Jr. (May 2, 1949 – June 7, 1998) was an African-American who was murdered by three men, of whom at least two were white supremacists, in Jasper, Texas, on June 7, 1998. Shawn Berry, Lawrence Russell Brewer, and John King dragged Byrd for three miles behind a pick-up truck along an asphalt road. Byrd, who remained conscious throughout most of the ordeal, was killed when his body hit the edge of a culvert, severing his right arm and head. The murderers drove on for another mile before dumping his torso in front of an African-American cemetery in Jasper. Byrd's lynching-by-dragging gave impetus to passage of a Texas hate crimes law. It later led to the federal Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, commonly known as the Matthew Shepard Act, which passed on October 22, 2009, and which President Barack Obama signed into law on October 28, 2009.
Lawrence Russell Brewer was executed by lethal injection for this crime by the state of Texas on September 21, 2011. King remains on Texas' death row while appeals are pending, while Berry was sentenced to life imprisonment.
991. Stacie Reed (August 21, 1982 to January 29, 1999)
Rachel Joy Scott (August 5, 1981 – April 20, 1999) was an American student and the first murder victim of the Columbine High School massacre, which claimed the lives of 12 students and a teacher, as well as both perpetrators.
She has since been the subject of several books and is the inspiration for Rachel's Challenge, a nationwide school outreach program for the prevention of teen violence, based on her life and writings.
Cassie René Bernall (November 6, 1981 - April 20, 1999) was a student killed in the Columbine High School massacre, at age 17.
In NATO attack on Serbian Radio Television these people were massacred: Dejan Marković (age: 39), Darko Stiomenovski (26), Slaviša Stevanović (32), Slobodan Jontić (54), Ksenija Banković (28), Branislav Jovanović (50),Ivan Stukalo (34), , Dragan Tasić (31), Nebojša Stojanović (27), Siniša Medić (32), Tomislav Mitrović (61), Milan Joksimović (47), Jelica Munitlak (28), Aleksandar Deletić (31), Dragorad Dragojević (27), Milovan Janković (59).[PHOTO SOURCE: https://theremustbejustice.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/wherever-it-outbreaks-terrorism-is-evil-all-the-terrorists-should-be-punished-rigorously/]
1005-1020. The NATO bombing of the Radio Television of Serbia headquarters occurred on 23 April 1999, during the Kosovo War.
|Teresa Del Rio|
|Kleber Pescone dos Santos, 28, and his wife, Lillian D'Ascanio Carla dos Santos, 25.|
1024-1025. Kleber Santos and his wife, Lilian – A Brazilian couple who were murdered by Michael Adam Sigala on August 22, 2000. He was executed by the state of Texas on March 2, 2010.
Leslie Rae White
1026. Leslie Rae White (February 25, 1982 to October 4, 2000)
1027. Heather Muller (September 21, 1975 to December 15, 2000)