Unit 1012 Cover Photo

Unit 1012 Cover Photo

Friday, October 11, 2013

REMEMBER JULIE HEATH (DIED: OCTOBER 11, 1993)



            Twenty years ago on this date, October 11, 1993, a Malvern Cheerleader, 18-year-old Julie Heath was murdered by Eric Nance. Justice was served 12 years later when Eric Naunce was put to death by lethal injection on November 28, 2005. Let us remember her. 


 Julie Heath

Summary: Julie Heath's vehicle was discovered abandoned on Highway 270, west of Malvern. A week later, her body was found on rural property approximately 7.5 miles from her vehicle. Although the autopsy failed to reveal the cause or manner of death, medical evidence showed likely trauma to the head, and defects to her clothing were consistent with a cutting wound. At trial, Nance's brother and sister testified that, after initially denying any involvement in the crime, Nance later stated that he had accidentally killed the victim. Nance told them that Heath's automobile had broken down on the road, that he picked her up, that his work knife slid out of his pocket, that as he moved to put the knife in the glove compartment, the victim turned started kicking him, that he put his hand up to keep her from kicking and hitting him, and that the knife fatally lodged in her throat. The jury didn't buy this account.

"This is not easy for any of us and we do feel for his mother, his family," said Johnie Hood, a cousin of the victim. "I just pray that Julie rests in peace now. He couldn't say he was sorry. What he went through tonight was painless compared to what he put Julie through." Hood and other family members watched the execution via closed-circuit television in a prison office. Heath's mother Nancy killed herself a year after her daughter's murder.

"It brings closure that he is gone, but it will never bring back Julie - what he's done to our family, I hope that he did say he's sorry to someone for what he had done," said Belinda Crites, another cousin. "We want to make sure the devil dies. He's gone now so I hope they can rest in peace."

21 comments:

  1. Julie was my classmate and she is still truly loved and missed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'm currently researching Julie's case for a true crime TV series and I'd love to have the chance to speak with you. Is there a way we could get in touch?

      Delete
    2. Hello, I'm currently researching Julie's case for a true crime TV series and I'd love to have the chance to speak with you. Is there a way we could get in touch?

      Delete
  2. Julie was my classmate and she is still truly loved and missed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one classmate who of many who may might love to speak with you I am 5014631855

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a report on Julie for oral communication during college as a member of the class of 1993 I would like to thank you for your interest. I look forward to hearing from you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for expressing interest in sitting down with our show to talk about Julie. My apologies for how long it has taken to get everything together, but it looks like we are now close to scheduling the shoot. The phone number you offered is no longer working, is there another number I could reach you at?

      Delete
    2. I went to school with Julie as well. She was so nice! I miss her alot.

      Delete
  5. I went to school with Julie....she is truly missed 😢😢

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to school with Julie....she is truly missed 😢😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April, I'm currently reaching out to folks that knew Julie as part of a true crime series that will cover the investigation into her death and the affect it had on the town. Would you be interested in speaking with us?

      Delete
  7. She worked for me and she attended my wedding two months before she died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LaVeta, I'm currently reaching out to folks that knew Julie as part of a true crime series that will cover the investigation into her death and the affect it had on the town. Would you be interested in speaking with us?

      Delete
    2. I was using an ouija board and she talked to me and my friend so I decided to look her up and what she was telling us of what happened was very accurate it was very scary and its sad

      Delete
  8. My aunt Nancy heath killed herself on Christmas day that year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad. How did she kill herself?

      Delete
    2. 😰😰 I'm so beyond sorry for your loss.

      Delete
    3. I am so sorry for your cousin
      N
      Your aunt

      I dont know the words
      But

      May they both find peace

      Delete