Unit 1012 Cover Photo

Unit 1012 Cover Photo

Monday, August 25, 2014

STATEMENT OF APOLOGY FROM KANG KEK IEW (AUGUST 25, 2009)



Please read and hear this statement of apology from Kang Kek Iew, a former Khmer Rouge War Criminal on this date, August 25, 2009:


Kang Kek Iew or Kaing Kek Iev, also romanized as Kaing Guek Eav (Khmer: កាំង ហ្គេកអ៊ាវ), nom de guerre Comrade Duch or Deuch (មិត្តឌុច); or Hang Pin, (born 17 November 1942) is a war criminal and former leader in the Khmer Rouge communist movement, which ruled Democratic Kampuchea from 1975 to 1979. As the head of the government's internal security branch, he oversaw the Tuol Sleng (S-21) prison camp where thousands were held for interrogation and torture. The first Khmer Rouge leader to be tried by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia for the crimes of the regime, he was convicted of crimes against humanity, murder, and torture for his role during the Khmer Rouge rule of Cambodia and sentenced to 30 years imprisonment. On February 3, 2012, his sentence was extended to life imprisonment by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia.

Please go to Force 1109 Blog post to learn more about him. 


Transcript (KH) of 25 August 2009,
[p. 49 Line 5 to p. 50 Line 8]

I, personally, who was in charge S-21 as the director, was responsible for the criminal mechanism and I am determined to take legal and moral responsibility for all the crimes committed at S-21. And, secondly, I, Kaing Guek Eav alias Duch, was not in charge of all the security centres throughout the country, but I was a member of the Communist Party of Kampuchea and as such I still carry the moral weight of all the crimes perpetrated against the people and nation of Cambodia throughout that regime. I deserve whatever punishment the Cambodian people may mete out. When I am personally challenged before the victims, the many widows, the orphans – I accept that they condemn me. I bow before them so that they can see that I have acknowledged my crimes. It is unfortunate that some of the widows did not have the opportunity to come here […]

I would bow to all those widows from a distance, including Mrs. Chao Seng and Mrs. Pan Polin. Perhaps the wife of Rath Kut is dead. As for the orphans, there have been a considerable number of them lodging applications here but not all of them have appeared before the Chamber. I calculate that ten orphans have not submitted their complaints. Regardless of whether they lodge applications or not, I am still responsible and I bow in acknowledgment of the testimony we have heard. I continue to believe that they are suffering from the psychological impact, as Doctor Chhim Sotheara explained. I think this crime will need a long time to reach any true resolution. I commend the outstanding scientific research of Dr. Chhim Sotheara, none of which I would contest. My respects also go to all the general public in the public gallery.

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO TO HEAR HIS APOLOGY FOR WAR CRIMES:

Statements apology 25 August 2009:Kaing Guek Eav alias Duch
Published on Aug 15, 2012
In its judgement on appeals in Case 001 against Kaing Guek Eav alias Duch, the Supreme Court Chamber of the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) affirmed the Trial Chamber's previous decision to compile and post on the ECCC's official website all statements of apology and acknowledgements of responsibility made by Kaing Guek Eav alias Duch during the course of the trial, including the appeal stage. This video clip is part of the audio and video version of this compilation. More information: http://www.eccc.gov.kh/en

No comments:

Post a Comment