Unit 1012 Cover Photo

Unit 1012 Cover Photo

Thursday, December 3, 2015

HAPPY 140TH BIRTHDAY! THE BLESSED BERNHARD LICHTENBERG (DECEMBER 3, 1875 TO NOVEMBER 3, 1943)



  


I reject with my innermost the evacuation [deportation of Jews] with all its side effects, because it is directed against the most important commandment of Christianity, ‘You shall love your neighbor as much as you love yourself.’ And I recognize the Jew too as my neighbor, who possesses an immortal soul, shaped after the likeness of God. However, since I cannot prevent this governmental measure, I have made up my mind to accompany the deported Jews and Christian Jews into exile, in order to give them spiritual aid. I wish to use this opportunity to ask the Gestapo to give me this opportunity.

—Father Bernhard Lichtenberg


The Blessed Bernhard Lichtenberg (3 December 1875 – 5 November 1943) was a German Roman Catholic priest and theologian, who died while in the custody of forces of the Third Reich. He has been awarded the title of Righteous among the Nations, and has been beatified by the Catholic Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment