As I had blogged in a previous post, ‘PORT SAID STADIUM DISASTER [1 FEBRUARY 2012]’, I would like to update the verdict summary as it was announced on Saturday 9 March 2013. Although there is chaos in Egypt at the moment, I encouraged people not to forget the victims who were killed in the riots.
I got the information from this news source:
Port Said case verdict: Summary
Ahram Online, Saturday 9 Mar 2013
Ahram Online breaks down Saturday's court verdict in the Port Said football massacre case
|Judges of the Port Said Criminal Court, holding a hearing in Cairo for security reasons, rules in the case of last year's soccer violence in Port Said which left over 70 dead in Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, March 9, 2013 (Photo: Reuters)|
The 21 death sentences handed down 26 January are confirmed.
Five defendants received life sentences.
Two policemen were convicted: former Port Said security director Essam Samak and the head of the Port Said water bodies security department, Mohamed Saad, both received 15 year sentences.
Eight other defendants received 15 year sentences.
Six defendants received 10 year sentences.
Two defendants received five year sentences.
One defendant received a one year sentence.
Among 28 defendants who were acquitted were the seven other police officers accused. They include the former head of Port Said police investigation department, Mostafa Razaz, former head of the Central Security Forces in the Suez Canal area, Abdel-Aziz Sami, and former head of Port Said national security directorate, Bahy El-Din Zaghloul.
The other four police officers were all aides to these senior officials.
Also acquitted are the only two officials from Port Said’s Al-Masry club who were charged — Major General Mohsen Sheta who was executive director of Al-Masry club at the time of the events, and former head of security at the club Mohamed El-Desouki.