Unit 1012 Cover Photo

Unit 1012 Cover Photo

Friday, April 2, 2010

Relieved Bali bombing victims want chapter closed

* By Michelle Cazzulino
* From: The Daily Telegraph
* October 30, 2008 12:00AM


AUSTRALIAN victims of the Bali bombings yesterday expressed relief that Indonesia was finally preparing to carry out death sentences against the mass murderers.

The three - Amrozi, Mukhlas and Imam Samudra - will face a firing squad, possibly as soon as Saturday, for their involvement in the 2002 Sari Club terror attacks which killed 202 people, including 88 Australians.

Perth-based football manager Simon Quayle, who lost seven teammates in the blast, said although the executions had been a long time coming, it was important that the sentences were carried out as ordered.

"In regard to the shooting and their deaths, it's fantastic that justice is being served and that's pretty much what I am feeling," he said.

"I think it's a reflection of good police work on the part of the Indonesians and the fact that justice is being carried out."


Although six years had passed since the bombing, the emotional and physical scars remained.

"I don't have any anger or need for revenge but . . . I can imagine that it'll be a really important occasion for parents who've lost their children and people who've lost close relatives, who think about them every day," Mr Quayle said.

"Those people will be very, very happy and celebrating hard.

"I'm more about the signs of justice. If justice would've (meant) a sentence of life imprisonment and it was carried out, I would've been satisfied. But I still think terrorists should get the death penalty."


Tracey Ball, who sustained burns to 30 per cent of her body in the bombings, said she had mixed feelings. "I'm trying not to think about it too much - I'd rather just know that it's finally done," she said.

"I think we've got to send the message somehow that we're not going to put up with terrorism but, at the same time, I'm not going to celebrate someone being put to death because that's not the person I am."

Ms Ball said although she would never fully put the bombings behind her, she would be glad when Indonesia carried out the death sentences.

"I think I'll be just relieved when it's finally done," she said.

"There's no such thing as closure but at the moment (the issue) just keeps coming up. Once it's done, it's done and I'll be just grateful for the fact that it's finally over."

No comments:

Post a Comment